The Illinois Conference , UCC Immigration Action Force work centers on educating and empowering pastoral and lay leaders, youth and congregations to faithfully and effectively act with compassion on behalf of immigrants.
Here are the primary areas we work on:
- Providing Congregational Resources for education, missions and action including mission moments, immigration 101 education, Resources for Advocacy, Education, Spiritual Practice, Evangelism and Action, and a Facebook page.
- Advocacy to Government organizations on immigration issues, at the local, state and national level. Current issues include protests against a proposed private Corrections Corporation of America detention center, advocating for the Uniting American Families Act, advocating for Comprehensive Immigration Reform and the DREAM Act.
- Encouraging participation in Immigrant Welcoming Congregations ecumenical efforts in conjunction with the Chicago New Sanctuary organization.
- Support for the new church start Iglesia Unida in Berwyn, including a pro-bono legal clinic for immigrants on the Fourth Saturday of the month at the church,1241 Oak Park Ave., Berwyn, IL from 10 AM to 2 PM.
- Attending Interfaith Vigils for Immigrant Justice at Broadview Detention Center the first Friday of each month including praying on the busses with immigrants waiting to be deported.
- Leading intensive seminars in the Chicago Metro area to learn about the social, economic, political, and religious challenges immigrants face.
- Fundraising for Healthcare for Immigrants – we seek funds for undocumented people who need important medical care and procedures. Due to draconian immigration policies, many undocumented people are left without the insurance or financial resources to cover major medical expenses.
We partner with Chicago Religious Leadership Network, Chicago New Sanctuary Coalition and Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights for Government Advocacy and intensive seminars
We meet monthly on the 3rd Thursday from noon to 2 PM at Iglesia Unida,1241 Oak Park Ave., Berwyn, IL.
Convener: Diane Herr
Contact: Rev. Sara Wohlleb
Mr. Dick Conser
Rev. Roger Dart
Mr. Dan Dale
Ms. Sharon Hunter-Smith
Pastor Jose Jerez
Mr. Tito Moreno
Rev. Eliezer Pascua
Rev. Sally Scheib
If you have questions or are interested in joining us please contact:
Rev. Sara Wohlleb
Prayer for the Migrant
Loving Creator, full of love and mercy,
hear my prayer for my migrant brothers and sisters:
Have pity on them and protect them,
as they suffer being mistreated and humiliated
on their journeys, are labeled “dangerous”
and are marginalized for being foreigners.
May their dignity be respected and valued.
Touch with Your goodness the many that see them pass.
Care for their families until they return to their homes,
not with broken hearts but rather with hopes fulfilled.
Let it be. Amen.